Time entry and use of timezones

While working with your API I encountered the requirement of adding a timezone to a new time entry.

The timezone will be used for startDateLocal and startTimeLocal to calculate the correct startDateUtcand startTimeUtc if not already given in the correct format.
Analog for end....

Is there a special reason to make use of utc and local? And I noticed that a entry will be displayed inside the awork gui with it local time without calculate the wrong difference between my actual timezone and the timezone that is in the time entry.

Example:
My Settings: timezone = Europe/Berlin

Create/Update time entry with:

{
    "projectId": "51a8xe5",
    "isBillable": true,
    "note": "Test 2",
    "startDateUtc": "2024-06-21T00:00:00Z",
    "startTimeUtc": "17:00:00",
    "startDateLocal": "2024-06-21T00:00:00Z",
    "startTimeLocal": "10:00:00",
    "endDateUtc": "2024-06-21T00:00:00Z",
    "endTimeUtc": "18:10:00",
    "endDateLocal": "2024-06-21T00:00:00Z",
    "endTimeLocal": "11:10:00",
    "userId": "836bc7xc25",
    "typeOfWorkId": "21x1140fa",
    "timezone": "America/Los_Angeles",
    "breakDuration": 0,
    "duration": 4200
}

The awork gui will show the entry in the timeslot with the given local time but my user settings showing Europe/Berlin and that would indicate that the entry would be shown in the slot 19:00 and 20:10. Was it a design decision that awork will show the local time of entry without calculate the difference?

Hey @m.nowocyn,
thanks for posting here and welcome :raised_hands:t3:
Yes, unfortunately that was a really old design decision to not have the local date and time in the timezone of the requesting user but only in the timezone of the time tracking.
We are aware of this and have already planned this into our roadmap, tho I can’t give you are concrete time when this will arrive as I can’t say how complex the fix will be and if we need any mayor breaking changes.

Hope that answers your question.
Best regards
Ian